Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:5 May.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 5 May.
1915 (Wednesday)[edit | edit source]
- Telegram to Lt-Col. Machell: "Rail conveyance required about 9am Saturday 8 May from Carlisle to Whitchurch Salop for Prees Heath Camp for 11th Battalion Border Regiment strength about 25 officers 900 other ranks 14 horses 5 four wheel vehicles 2 two wheeled vehicles 40 tons Baggage and stores please inform me....if the heavy baggage can be offloaded from light railway which runs into the Camp....I hope to come along at 3.40 & march up to Camp with B & C....There is no hurry about tea....I have had a busy day but it is a pleasure to work with these people." 
- Letter from William Johnson, member of the Recruiting Staff: "The residents of Botchergate were very much disappointed....when the advance party of your Battalion was taken by James Street to the Station. I have been asked by a deputation of wives & friends of the men to ask if you will be kind enough to march the men by way of Botchergate, when they leave the City. The Station Authorities will not allow either wife or other relative in the Station, & it will be the only chance of seeing their dear ones who are going to fight for us, on their march to the Station, by doing so you will be doing a graceful act, & will earn the thanks of the many friends who look upon the "Lonsdales" as their particular Battalion....wishing you good luck." 
- Appointments and promotions.[note 1][note 2][note 3]
1916 (Friday)[edit | edit source]
- Contay Wood: Battalion in isolation camp (measles) involved in Divisional and Brigade manoeuvres, training and small working parties.[note 4]
- A draft of 21 other ranks join the Battalion.
1917 (Saturday)[edit | edit source]
- Offoy: Battalion drill and training.
1918 (Sunday)[edit | edit source]
- Berles-au-Bois: Church parade at 10am.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Promotion to Sergeant: E. Sykes (13366) of A Company.
- Appointment to Lance Sergeant: P. Crilley (17532) of A Company.
Appointments to Lance Corporal:
- H.M. Carlos (13214)
- C. Robinson (13658)
- W. Ferguson (13776)
- G. Douthwaite (13809)
- J. Ellwood (13820)
- T. Gibson (13902)
- H. Newton (17345)
- A.K. Lister (17576).
- Training continues for those who are able during the whole period of isolation.
References[edit | edit source]
Acknowledgements[edit | edit source]
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (5 May), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.