1st Border Regiment, Sialkot 1885 (forum archive)
|Posted by plbramham » 25 Feb 2012, 17:38|
|Where is Sialkot, posting of 1st Battalion in 1885?
From Encyclopedia Brittanica 1911:
Sialkot was annexed by the British after the second Sikh war in 1849. For establishing cantonment, the British Commander-in-Chief, Sir Lord Napier, surveyed and selected the area between the seasonal streams, Bher Nala and Palkhu Nala, from the point of view of defence. The Area Command laid its foundation in 1852 under the leadership of Major-General Angulas. During the Indian Rebellion of 1857 it was the scene of heavy fighting, and the Sialkot Fort was used by the Europeans for protection. The native troops plundered the treasury and destroyed all the records. Murray College, Sialkot was established in 1889. The railway branch from Wazirabad to Sialkot was extended to Jammu in 1890. The Sialkot-Narowal railway line was opened in 1915.
During the British rule sports goods manufacturing began in Sialkot, recorded, history of the industry going back to 1895 when the city became famous for its tennis racquets. By 1903, cricket bats were being crafted from imported English willow and exported to different parts of British India and beyond. In 1922, a Mr. Syed was awarded the British Empire Export Award for supplying footballs to the British Army. Later the industry included a variety of wood and leather-based sports equipment, and diversified into related items such as sports apparel, riding equipment, and even the Scottish bagpipes.