|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 28 October.
- 3 men recruited at High Hesket.
- Enlistments: William Dalton (15406 Pte.) • Evan Jonathan Hughes (17358 Pte.).
- John Gibson of the Y.M.C.A. in Kendal in response to Lord Lonsdale about accommodating recruits at the Y.M.C.A: “Our aim is to provide a home from home for the men and to keep them out of temptation’s way. We have organised sing songs, concerts, band entertainments, shooting and billiard competitions, and allow smoking throughout the place” 
- Robert Fulton of Cummersdale Mills: “We have been carrying out a good many alterations to our Range but we hope to complete them by Saturday and you would be able to commence shooting any time after that....You will be able at least to have 12 men shooting at once and if found necessary 18 with very little difficulty....We have managed to get 11 Rifles several clubs having kindly responded to our appeal. I have been fortunate in getting 20,000 Rds of Ammunition....I take it you will be using the white target with round “bull” at first until your men get used to the sights....But if later you wanted to use the green card with khaki man upon it....” 
- Battalion situated at Bouzincourt. General parade of instruction and working parties for the Royal Engineers.
- G.O.C. Haig in company with Officers Commanding Brigade & Divisions, visits billets and also congratulates the Lonsdales Commanding Officer on the state of his Battalion.
- Battalion situated in the Roubrouck Area carries out a practice attack at dawn, zero hour 5.30am.
- Church Parades held for Companies during the afternoon.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/12
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/279
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/?
- A group of soldiers (or prisoners) that are assigned to perform manual tasks or duties, for their own or other units.
- 11th Battalion War Diary, October 1916
- General Officer Commanding.
- 11th Battalion War Diary, October 1917