Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:31 January.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 31 January.
- Memo: "fire broke out this morning in no.2 Barrack Room....The damage is very slight being confined to the woodwork of the window sill. There is a danger of fire arising from all the stoves....because they are fixed too near to the woodwork." 
- Beaumont Hamel: In dug-outs. The Lonsdales take over R1 Sector relieving the 16th Highland Light Infantry.
- The Commanding Officer meets with General Jardine.
- Deaths: Horace Frederick Dutton (27675 Pte.)
- Situated on the front line. All very quiet.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/268
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (31 January), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.