|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 5 May.
- Telegram to Lt-Col. Machell: “Rail conveyance required about 9am Saturday 8 May from Carlisle to Whitchurch Salop for Prees Heath Camp for 11th Battalion Border Regiment strength about 25 officers 900 other ranks 14 horses 5 four wheel vehicles 2 two wheeled vehicles 40 tons Baggage and stores please inform me....if the heavy baggage can be offloaded from light railway which runs into the Camp....I hope to come along at 3.40 & march up to Camp with B & C....There is no hurry about tea....I have had a busy day but it is a pleasure to work with these people.” 
- Letter from William Johnson, member of the Recruiting Staff: “The residents of Botchergate were very much disappointed....when the advance party of your Battalion was taken by James Street to the Station. I have been asked by a deputation of wives & friends of the men to ask if you will be kind enough to march the men by way of Botchergate, when they leave the City. The Station Authorities will not allow either wife or other relative in the Station, & it will be the only chance of seeing their dear ones who are going to fight for us, on their march to the Station, by doing so you will be doing a graceful act, & will earn the thanks of the many friends who look upon the “Lonsdales” as their particular Battalion....wishing you good luck.” 
- Promotion to Sergeant: E. Sykes (13366) of A Company.
- Appointment to Lance Sergeant: P. Crilley (17532) of A Company.
- Appointments to Lance Corporal: H.M. Carlos (13214) • C. Robinson (13658) • W. Ferguson (13776) • G. Douthwaite (13809) • J. Ellwood (13820) • T. Gibson (13902) • H. Newton (17345) • A.K. Lister (17576).
- Battalion in isolation camp at Contay Wood (measles) involved in Divisional and Brigade manoeuvres, training and small working parties.
- A draft of 21 other ranks join the Battalion.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.