Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 5 October.
- 4 men are recruited at Hallbankgate.
- Enlistments: Joseph Bell (13653 L/Sgt.) • Joseph Isles (13654 Sgt.).
- Letter of Major Binning: “We are taking over a Miniature Range and shall be much obliged if you will kindly quote for Ammunition .22” 
- Battalion situated in the Cambrin Sector. GSO Colonel Wace visits Battalion HQ at 9:55am, then both the Commanding Officer and Colonel Wace visit the front line trenches.
- At 8pm a strafe on the enemy trenches is carried; gas and smoke is sent over at intervals along with short bombardments by the Battalion's trench mortars, machine gun and rifle fire.
- Battalion is relieved by the 1/6th Lancashire Fusiliers and withdraws to 'Canada Camp'; relief is quiet and completes at 11:30pm. Four other ranks are wounded.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.