Great War events that took place on 3 January.
1915 (Sunday)[edit source | hide | hide all]
- French fail in attack on Boureuilles (Argonne), but carry a height near Cernay (Alsace).
- Russians occupy Suczava (Bukovina).
- Austrians occupy Ada Tsiganlia, an island near Belgrade.
- Very heavy fighting at Sarikamish, and at Ardahan (Transcaucasia).
- Arrest of Cardinal Mercier (Belgium) for Pastoral Letter.
- French Government issue further revised list of contraband (see 6 November, 1914).
1916 (Monday)[edit source | hide]
References[edit source | hide]
Acknowledgements[edit source | hide]
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Great War:On This Day. The majority of events, additional notes and other appendices such as statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from reprints of the following copyright-expired publications:
- Chronology of the War. Volumes I, II & III (1918-1920). Lord Edward Gleichen. Constable & Company, London.
- History of the Great War – Principle Events 1914-1918. (1922). The Historical Section of the Committee of Imperial Defence. HMSO, London.