Lonsdale Battalion on this day...
A daily listing of the Lonsdales movements, actions and events that took place on this day. This page refreshes every day.
Learn more about this project.
On this day, 22 February
- Letter from Brigadier Collings to Lt-Col. Machell: “I wrote to Sir. H. Mackinnon asking him if your Battalion could not be pushed on to musketry, & and he replies that he regrets very much he cannot get rifles for you to do so.” 
- Situated in hut billets in Hénencourt Wood, takes on duty of readiness to move into reserve at 6pm.
- Battalion situated at Camon; parades in full marching order and marches to Weincourt.
- Deaths: William Ernest Crayston (23989 Pte.)
- Battalion situated in camp near Woesten where Companies are working under the Royal Engineers repairing pill boxes and machine gun defences. Specialist training as usual.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.