|THE LONSDALE BATTALION|
|The home of the 11th (Service) Battalion Border Regiment in the First World War|
Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense — Evil be to Him who Evil Thinks
A daily listing of movements, actions, events and political involvements of the Lonsdale Battalion that took place this day between 1914–1918. (This information refreshes daily.)
On this day in history (15 October)
- 6 men are recruited at Thursby.
- Enlistments: James Culley (13874 L/Cpl.).
- 'C' Company and 'D' Company join the rest of the Battalion at Blackhall Racecourse, Carlisle.
- Percy Wilfred Machell is gazetted the temporary rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, to date from 1 September 1914.
- Letter from Major Binning: “Robert Rutherford whose Attestation papers I enclose has made a false attestation. He is an Indentured Apprentice and his employer will not let him go. I therefore recommend....that he be discharged.” 
- Battalion leaves Bethune in full marching order. Arrives Labeuvrere and billets there.
- Battalion parade in afternoon under C.O.
- Battalion situated at Teteghem. 'A', 'B' & 'D' Companies at disposal of Company Commanders for physical drill and musketry training during morning.
- 'C' Company on 6 mile route march. Recreation in the afternoon.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/279
- 11th Border Regiment C Company formed of Westmorland men from Kendal.
- 11th Border Regiment D Company formed of Cumberland men from Workington.
- Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) - In France
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/23
- 11th Battalion War Diary, October 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, October 1917
Our largest on-going projects are The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day and Lonsdale Battalion Roll of Honour. But every project, however, no matter how large or small is just as important as the next, which is why they are of equal value and interest. Currently, there are several other site projects on the go or waiting to be started, and this is where we need your help in making these available for everyone. Take a quick look at the recent changes made to the site to see what has been happening lately.If you are interested in helping out you can contact us with any questions you may have about any of the projects. Alternatively, if you have spotted any errors and omissions, would like to create new pages or simply edit some existing ones, you can do so by creating a new account and off you go. We look forward to seeing you around.