|THE LONSDALE BATTALION|
|The home of the 11th (Service) Battalion Border Regiment in the First World War|
Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense — Evil be to Him who Evil Thinks
A daily listing of movements, actions, events and political involvements of the Lonsdale Battalion that took place this day between 1914–1918. (This information refreshes daily.)
On this day in history (24 March)
- Forfeiture of pay for absence: T. Carlyle (13389) • T. Little (15386) • J. Shannon (13386) • T. Gouge (13909) • J. Edmondson (13858)
- The following men are awarded proficiency pay:
- H. Harrop (17604) - B Company
- W. Maleney (13239) - A Company
- W. Wilson (13742) - D Company
- S. Gregg (16399) - D Company
- R. Rodgers (15509) - E Company
- W.S. Hunter (13300) - A Company
- W. Armstrong (13224) - A Company
- W. Holmes (13717) - B Company
- J. Cook (13736) - C Company
- W. Doherty (13897) - B Company
- J. Michell (15294) - C Company
- J.J. McSkimmings (13379) - A Company
- F. O’Neill (13806) - B Company
- M. Brannan (17482) - C Company
- T. Donaldson (13679) - A Company
- M. Coulthard (15534) - A Company
- T. Newton (13775) - A Company
- H. Harkness (15389) - Company
- T. Queen (15329) - B Company
- G. Sowerby (15384) - B Company
- R. Davis (13629) - C Company
- J. Bell (17533) - E Company
- A. McLean (17583) - E Company
- Newspaper article: Lonsdales Lose Some Fine Chaps. 
- Newspaper article: Lost a Few Men.
- Newspaper article: Three Caught, Two Suffocated.
- News paper article: Will Be Satisfied Now.
- Battalion situated in rest billets in Dernancourt.
- Battalion situated at Nesle parades and marches to points west of Rouy, digging strong points there. Each Company digs one of 32 Fire Bays.
- Battalion situated in Divisional Reserve along Canal Bank. Church parade in Bosinghe (Boezinge) Church hut. Warning of move. Shelling in vicinity of billets.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/137
- Lonsdales Lose Some Fine Chaps – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 24 March, 1916.
- Lost a Few Men – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 24 March, 1916.
- Three Caught, Two Suffocated – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 24 March, 1916.
- Will Be Satisfied Now – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 24 March, 1916.
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1917
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1918
Our largest on-going projects are The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day and Lonsdale Battalion Roll of Honour. But every project, however, no matter how large or small is just as important as the next, which is why they are of equal value and interest. Currently, there are several other site projects on the go or waiting to be started, and this is where we need your help in making these available for everyone. Take a quick look at the recent changes made to the site to see what has been happening lately.If you are interested in helping out you can contact us with any questions you may have about any of the projects. Alternatively, if you have spotted any errors and omissions, would like to create new pages or simply edit some existing ones, you can do so by creating a new account and off you go. We look forward to seeing you around.