|THE LONSDALE BATTALION|
|The home of the 11th (Service) Battalion Border Regiment in the First World War|
Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense — Evil be to Him who Evil Thinks
A daily listing of movements, actions, events and political involvements of the Lonsdale Battalion that took place this day between 1914–1918. (This information refreshes daily.)
On this day in history (28 September)
- Two men are recruited at Wetheral.
- Enlistments: Chambers Barton (13310 Pte.) • William Elliott (13309 L/Cpl.) • Thomas Henry Linney (13313 L/Cpl.) • John Nevin (13336 Pte.)
- A telegram states: “Lonsdale Battalion Border being raised at three centres...Kendal, Workington, Carlisle. As proper accommodation available at camp on racecourse Carlisle drafts will be sent and Headquarters established Carlisle. Meanwhile Battalion Headquarters Portland Place Penrith.” 
- William Henry Wright of London Road, Carlisle offered to visit Blackhall Camp to provide shaving and haircutting services.
- Battalion finds working parties for the front line trenches in the Cambrin Sector.
- At 2:30pm the 97th Brigade carries out a practice with No.2 Squadron RFC in signalling.
- Battalion, consisting of one officer and two signallers per Company, proceeds to take up a position in the Sailly-Labourse line (Beuvry) at 12 noon. All take part in the practice.
- Battalion relieves the 15th Lancashire Fusiliers as Support Battalion in the Lombardzyde Sector; Battalion HQ in 'Rubber House'.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
Our largest on-going projects are The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day and Lonsdale Battalion Roll of Honour. But every project, however, no matter how large or small is just as important as the next, which is why they are of equal value and interest. Currently, there are several other site projects on the go or waiting to be started, and this is where we need your help in making these available for everyone. Take a quick look at the recent changes made to the site to see what has been happening lately.If you are interested in helping out you can contact us with any questions you may have about any of the projects. Alternatively, if you have spotted any errors and omissions, would like to create new pages or simply edit some existing ones, you can do so by creating a new account and off you go. We look forward to seeing you around.