|THE LONSDALE BATTALION|
|The home of the 11th (Service) Battalion Border Regiment in the First World War|
Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense — Evil be to Him who Evil Thinks
A daily listing of movements, actions, events and political involvements of the Lonsdale Battalion that took place this day between 1914–1918. (This information refreshes daily.)
On this day in history (17 April)
- Lt-Col. Machell to Lord Lonsdale: "now that Grantham is cancelled & advanced party ordered back here I am anxious about our fate it is important we should make a move & I don’t see why we should not be transferred fifth to third army now that we are not to go with 112th Brigade. Could you ascertain somehow what War Office intends to do with us?" 
- The lease of 11 Botchergate is used as a Sub-Recruiting Office for Blackhall Camp. 
- Letter to Lt-Col. Machell from B.L. Montgomery: "You haven’t lost the general and myself yet....So my general & myself are left with you....I hate all these changes as it unsettles one, but both the general and myself are very glad that you....are still with us;....Anyhow at present you are still with us, and we don’t go to Grantham. I am afraid that neither of us can come up to you on Monday now;....But when it is all settled, one of us will come and see you. You can be assured of one thing, that wherever the general and myself go we shall do our very best to keep you with us; we both know a good battalion when we see one." 
- Telegram from Lord Lonsdale to Lt-Col. Machell: "Have machine gun Lowther superannuated pattern but have harness and everything complete you are welcome to have it for instruction think ammunition could be got for it but not certain will see what else I can do." 
- Germaine: Involved in cleaning up generally. New clothing is issued.
- Deaths: Stanley Richard Arnold (28206 Pte.)
- Brigade Reserve: Headquarters, C Company and D Company are in the trenches and embankments at Rabbit Wood. B Company in Purple Line and A Company with Brigade situated between Monchy and Berles-au-Bois.
- Companies resting and cleaning up. In reserve ready to man the Purple Line in case of enemy attack.
- Observation post is established at Adinfer.
- Deaths: William Martland (260239) [note 2]
Our largest on-going projects are The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day and Lonsdale Battalion Roll of Honour. But every project, however, no matter how large or small is just as important as the next, which is why they are of equal value and interest. Currently, there are several other site projects on the go or waiting to be started, and this is where we need your help in making these available for everyone. Take a quick look at the recent changes made to the site to see what has been happening lately.If you are interested in helping out you can contact us with any questions you may have about any of the projects. Alternatively, if you have spotted any errors and omissions, would like to create new pages or simply edit some existing ones, you can do so by creating a new account and off you go. We look forward to seeing you around.
<ref> tags exist for a group named "note", but no corresponding
<references group="note"/> tag was found