|THE LONSDALE BATTALION|
|The home of the 11th (Service) Battalion Border Regiment in the First World War|
Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense — Evil be to Him who Evil Thinks
A daily listing of movements, actions, events and political involvements of the Lonsdale Battalion that took place this day between 1914–1918. (This information refreshes daily.)
On this day in history (20 October)
- 20 men are recruited at East Nelson Street and a further 7 men at Devonshire Street.
- Enlistments: Thomas Robert Lamont (15416 Pte.) • Joseph William Leck (15354 Pte.).
- Letter from Carlisle United Football Club: “....to inform you that after Sat next....or any cup tie, permission have been given to admit any of Lonsdale army men in uniform or with Permit to Half Price to all Parts of the Ground.” 
- Battalion situated in Longuevillete remain in billets during day involved with parade for general instruction, bombing and live grenade throwing.
- Battalion marches to Fort-des-Dunes and carries out practice attack.
- Specialists on training. Football competition during the afternoon.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
Our largest on-going projects are The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day and Lonsdale Battalion Roll of Honour. But every project, however, no matter how large or small is just as important as the next, which is why they are of equal value and interest. Currently, there are several other site projects on the go or waiting to be started, and this is where we need your help in making these available for everyone. Take a quick look at the recent changes made to the site to see what has been happening lately.If you are interested in helping out you can contact us with any questions you may have about any of the projects. Alternatively, if you have spotted any errors and omissions, would like to create new pages or simply edit some existing ones, you can do so by creating a new account and off you go. We look forward to seeing you around.