|THE LONSDALE BATTALION|
|The home of the 11th (Service) Battalion Border Regiment in the First World War|
Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense — Evil be to Him who Evil Thinks
A daily listing of movements, actions, events and political involvements of the Lonsdale Battalion that took place this day between 1914–1918. (This information refreshes daily.)
On this day in history (29 November)
- Lt-Col. Machell to Lord Lonsdale: "yesterday the Lonsdales beat the 'Carlisle United' F.C. by 2 goals to 0 – a fine match, far the best yet. The weather is awful & there is a lot of mild sort of influenza – in fact it is just a matter of 'how bad' everyone is, but it will do us all good. I have got all up from the Stables now except those who actually mess in the Pavilion, & hope to get the Kendal Company in the new huts by Xmas. There has been a muddle about the greatcoats which are now urgently required – the Committee appear not to have made a proper contract, so has been at the mercy of the contractor....Your belts are a godsend, & the rugs." 
- Battalion is located at Berteaucourt involved in General parades of instruction & training.
- L/Sgt. J.W. Oglethorpe writes to his parents from a home hospital: "I got wounded on the 18th in an advance we made. I got shot through the left arm, and have lost the use of it, and I have trench feet and cannot walk; but the worst of it all is that I got hit on Saturday night and was in a shell hole until Wednesday. I was 4 days and 3 nights without food and water. I only had half a bottle of water, so you will know what I suffered. I got to England on the 25th, and am going on all right now." 
- Battalion situated at Hill Top Farm preparing battle stores and equipment.
- Enemy shells the camp with 4.2 shrapnel from 7am – 8.30am at a rate of 6 shells a minute. 2 other ranks wounded.
- Deaths: Derwent Milburn (24003) of Keswick dies of wounds.[note 1]
Our largest on-going projects are The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day and Lonsdale Battalion Roll of Honour. But every project, however, no matter how large or small is just as important as the next, which is why they are of equal value and interest. Currently, there are several other site projects on the go or waiting to be started, and this is where we need your help in making these available for everyone. Take a quick look at the recent changes made to the site to see what has been happening lately.If you are interested in helping out you can contact us with any questions you may have about any of the projects. Alternatively, if you have spotted any errors and omissions, would like to create new pages or simply edit some existing ones, you can do so by creating a new account and off you go. We look forward to seeing you around.
<ref> tags exist for a group named "note", but no corresponding
<references group="note"/> tag was found