William Walter Riddell Binning
In early September 1914, Lord Lonsdale submitted a proposal to the War Office for a battalion made "entirely of men from the hills and dales of Cumberland and Westmorland."  The approval of the Army Council was given on 17 September 1914 and, without delay, an Executive Committee was formed, of which Major Binning was appointed Governor of Local Committees representing the Carlisle district. After the formation of the Battalion it was decided to raise the "Lonsdale" Battalion in three detachments: Blackhall Racecourse (Carlisle), Workington and Kendal. The former was soon to become the Battalion's Headquarters. With just 75 recruits, Major Binning and Captain Sale "formed the nucleus of 'A' and 'B' the North Cumberland Companies."  On 25 September the camp at Blackhall had started. The men of East and North Cumberland were enrolled by Binning and over a period of a few short months, Blackhall became the bustling epicentre of the Battalion and Major Binning was one of many important cogs ensuring the mechanism ran smoothly.
Training[edit | edit source]
Overseas posting[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
|References & Notes|