2/4th Battalion War Diary, May 1917
| 2/4th Border Regiment War Diary Transcriptions (1914-1919) |
The National Archives WO/95/????
|Transcribed from the War Diary of the 2/4th Border Regiment (1914-1919) and not the original war diary. This book was published by Carlisle book company Chas. Thurnam and Sons in 1920.|
Entries from this source have been heavily abridged from their original form and as a result, this version of the war diary should be seen as a summary of events rather than a comprehensive account of the battalion's actions. Please note some months contain only one or two or entries.
|This war diary page forms part of the Border Regiment Portal|
|Place||Date||Hour||Summary of Events|
|Marched from Nagoman to Peshawar. Strength of Battalion returning 14 officers, 6 attached officers, and 627 other ranks.
The Momand Blockade Line stretched for seventeen miles from the gorge on the Swat River to the Kabul River beyond Michni Fort. The line consisted of a chain of blockhouses from 300 to 1,000 yards apart, built on the north side of the Michni-Abazai Road, but clear of the foothills.
A barbed wire entanglement was built from end to end of the line, with live wire placed in front. A communication trench was dug, connecting all the blockhouses, along which listening posts were stationed between dusk and dawn. Brigade Headquarters were established at Fort Shab Kadr, while Battalion Headquarters were established at Sadar Garhi, Shab Kadr, Suban Khwar, and Michni, a Detachment of the 35th Sikhs being at Abazai Fort and the Frontier Constabulary at Matta.
|One officer and 71 other ranks of “D” Company took over the duties of the Infantry Detachment at Fort Peshawar.|
|Headquarters and “A” Company proceeded to Lower Gharial, Murree Hills.|
|“D” Company proceeded to Gharial.|
|Detachment of 2 officers and 150 other ranks proceeded to Nowshera.|
|Headquarters and “A” Company arrived at Lower Gharial.|
|“B” Company arrived at Lower Gharial.|
References / notes
- National Archives Catalogue Reference: WO/95/????
- The transcription above is available under the National Archives Open Government Licence for public sector information.