Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 11 April.
- Letter to Lt-Col. Machell from B.L. Montgomery: “As the move is put off for at least two weeks I hardly think it necessary to send a section from each company to Grantham. Your advance party will have plenty of time to get things straight, while we go on with the training. You can if you like bring back one of the two officers you sent down there. One officer at Grantham would be quite enough; however that is as you like.” 
- Private F.G. Atkinson is 25 minutes late at tattoo and is confined to barracks for three days.
- Battalion situated in billets in Senlis involved in training.
- Lance Corporal W.H. Postlethwaite writes a letter to the Workington Star and Harrington Guardian from a home hospital:
- “Dear Sir, I have received with much pleasure your postcard informing me that my Uncle, Mr. W.T. Pursglove, of Philadelphia, U.S.A, has sent to you money and instructions for you to forward to me a parcel of your cigarettes to the value of £1. It is evident that my uncle at time of writing was unaware that I had been wounded, and naturally expected you carrying out his wishes by sending them out to me in France. Therefore, it is my wish that you would kindly send out the parcel of cigarettes and twist tobacco, to the value of £1, to my Platoon in France, with the exception of a small amount of cigarettes, which I should be obliged if you would send on to me in this hospital. I know only too well the value of a cigarette in the trenches, and I am sure the men of my Platoon will appreciate the parcel so much. In concluding, I am pleased to say that I am well on the road to recovery, and trust soon to be up North to see the old home town once again. Wishing yourself, your staff and readers the very best of health and luck.” 
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.