Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:1 March.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 1 March.
- W. Robinson (15284) of C Company is deprived of 7 days’ pay.
- H.J. Bannon (15542) of A Company receives 4 days’ detention.
- Battalion situated in billets in Hénencourt.
- All leave is stopped for a return to another part of the line.
- Le Quesnel: In billets as Brigade Reserve. Preparations are made prior to marching for the line.
- Battalion parades and marches off in companies at 1pm, relieving the 2nd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in Support Line 'Kuropatkin'.
- Major Chamberlayne takes over as Second in Command.
- Battalion situated at camp near Woesten.
- Companies at the disposal of officers commanding companies for training, on the range and in open fighting.
- Signallers, snipers, scouts and Lewis Gunners carry on independently. Lecture in salvage to NCO's.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/137
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (1 March), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.