Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 11 March.
- Revised programme of work: daily: 7:45-9:45am physical drill, 10:00am-12:15pm and 14:00-17:00 training including entrenchments, musketry, rifle exercises, bayonet fighting, company, platoon and section drills, outposts, map reading, scouting, night operations.
- Battalion Orders: “... a scheme of distribution of the Field Glasses presented or lent for the use of NCO’s. In addition to the 13 pairs of Glasses originally provided by the National Service League, 50 pairs have now been received, besides £26 6s in cash, with which it is hoped to purchase glasses if any can be procured.”  Captain Rivington assumes responsibility for providing field glasses for the NCO’s of his own Company.
- Battalion situated in billets in Albert providing working parties for the Royal Engineers.
- One other rank is accidentally wounded.
- Battalion situated in the Support Intermediate Line (Kuropatkin). The Lonsdales and Royal Engineer working parties are in the trenches.
- Battalion situated in the line. A party of 150 of the enemy armed with revolvers raid No.15 Post. Covered by a machine gun barrage, they sweep into the post taking 4 prisoners. 1 man escapes with a Lewis gun.
- Enemy quiet by day but active on tracks with machine guns by night. 3 Officer patrols leave Posts 19, 15 and 11, proceeding along the roads and obtained useful information regarding enemy wire and machine guns. Aircraft very active. Wiring by night.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/185
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/136
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/135
- A group of soldiers (or prisoners) that are assigned to perform manual tasks or duties, for their own or other units.
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1917
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1918