Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:30 March.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 30 March.
- E. Wheadon (13246) and J. Frazer (16384) are forfeited their pay.
- Dernancourt: Situated in the E1 sector. Very quiet.
- Foreste: Remains in billets during the day.
- Orders are received that the Battalion is to attack the village of Savy.
- Relieved by the 16th Lancashire Fusiliers. Relief is complete by 10.30pm.
- Move forward to advanced positions and relieves the Yorks and Lancs and Scots Guards in the line in front of Moyenville to Ayette.
- B, C and D Companies in forward position; A Company in reserve.
- Headquarters situated in embankment area.
- Deaths: William Arthur David Brown (22780 Pte.) / Ernest Frederick Nott (29031 Pte.)
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/137
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (30 March), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.