Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 7 March.
- Battalion at the front in the E1 sector near Hénencourt.
- Trenches improving after bad weather. Small shelter in support line blown in burying three men.
- Casualties: One shell shock, two killed (4 NCO's killed). One NCO wounded by piece of an H.E. shell.
- Deaths: John Cherry (13681 L/Cpl.) • James Elliott (15335 Pte.)
- Battalion situated opposite Fouquescourt in the front line system. Patrols are sent out and clearing of trenches carries on.
- Battalion situated in the line near Charpentier. Artillery active in 'Ajax Ho', 'Suez' and 'Veldhoek' trenches.
- The Lonsdales are relieved at night by the 10th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Relief is complete 11p.m. The men move into 'Abri Wood' in Brigade Reserve.
References / notes
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1916
- High Explosive is an extremely powerful chemical explosive similar to TNT, combusting violently and instantaneously and causing widespread damage.
- Soldiers Died in the Great War (1921) cross referenced with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database.
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1917
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1918