|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 22 March.
- Letter from General Sir Henry Mackinnon to Lt-Col. Machell: “Hope to “fetch up” at the Station Hotel, Carlisle. I shall have my Motor with me and shall come out to Camp on Friday morning for an hour or two, and should like if possible, to see a little digging, some physical drill, and other Company work. Don’t have any Parade for me. I may ask them to march past in fours. I shall be glad to see you for I know you have done your training well, although you have been handicapped by want of rifles etc.” 
- Battalion situated in the E1 sector near Hénencourt. Front very quiet with some casualties.
- Casualties: three other ranks wounded (rifle grenade), two slightly wounded (shrapnel), two killed (rifle grenade).
- Deaths: Fred Coates (13247 Sgt.) • George Lennon (15270 L/Cpl.)
- Battalion situated at Nesle involved with working parties on bridges and roads etc. Guards and piquets are supplied, remainder of Battalion bathes.
- Battalion situated in Divisional Reserve. Day is spent in cleaning up after tour in the line, the men concentrated in shelters along 'Canal Bank'.
- One Company is out on working party duty and two Companies bathe during afternoon.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/114
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1916
- Soldiers Died in the Great War (1921) cross referenced with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database.
- A group of soldiers (or prisoners) that are assigned to perform manual tasks or duties, for their own or other units.
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1917
- 11th Battalion War Diary, March 1918