Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 5 March.
- J.M. Main (13892) and R.B. Oliver (13687) both of D Company are discharged.
- Battalion the front in the E1 sector near Hénencourt.
- Day very quiet owing to bad weather of snow, frost and thaw alternating. Trenches falling in and very wet.
- Battalion situated opposite Fouquescourt in the front line system. Relieves the 17th Highland Light Infantry. Relief completes by 11pm. Slight enemy activity with trench mortars and aerial darts.
- Battalion situated near Charpentier. Artillery active in 'Veldhoek' and 'Gambetta' trenches. B Company moves into the line on right. B, A and D Companies hold line in depth while C Company remains in reserve.
- B, A and D Companies each have 6 posts of 1 NCO and 6 men. Wiring and working by nights.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.