Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:3 February.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 3 February.
- Order from the Quartermaster: "All latrine buckets, or urine tubs used in barrack rooms for coke, to be returned to the Quartermaster’s store at once. Coke scuttles will be issued on requisition, one per barrack room.” 
- Letter from 'An Old Soldier & Reservist' Langdale: "Just a line regarding the Langdale Recruits that have been on leave this week-end. Most of the men are married men with wives & large families & they have all sacrificed good homes & good situations. The men, no doubt would be very glad to see their homes again, but we think you have done them a great injustice by inflicting punishment in not returning on Friday. The weather was abominable & I suppose you do not consider the distance they have to walk to Windermere 10 miles through rain & snow, ... We think you might consider their cases & extend their leave until Monday hoping you will look on their cases." 
- Equipment: "Officers commanding companies will arrange to issue their equipment, as received from the Quatrermaster, and have each NCO and man properly fitted." 
- J. Ruddick (13745) and William Dodds (13271 Sgt.) of B Company are promoted to Corporal and Sergeant respectively.
- F. Dixon (15498) and J. McGee (13657) are forfeited their pay due to absence.
- H. Graham (16265) is discharged on medical grounds.
- Orders are received to move to Lytham Camp near Beaussart.
- Deaths: Thomas William Clucas (28022 Pte.) and Frank Heywood (33553 Pte.)
- Battalion is situated in Boezinge (Bosinge Camp) where they have a church parade. Bathing is allotted for half of the men.
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (3 February), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.