Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:27 February.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 27 February.
- Promotion to Sergeant: John Cornelius McDivitt (13249) of A Company.
- Promotions to Corporal: William Stirling Hunter (13300), W. Dixon (13259), James Raven (13373), E.C. Tinnion (13256) and Robert Ritchie (13723), all of A Company.
- Appointments to Lance Corporal: E. Brockbank (13269), P. Bryan (13270), J. Moore (13308), John James McSkimmings (13379) and J. Peacher (13335), all of A Company.
- A progress report states that "the 5th (Depot) Company is billeted in the neighbourhood."
- Football match takes place at Brunton Park, Carlisle.
- Battalion situated as Quesnel involved in general parades for training and instruction.
- Battalion situated at camp near Woesten. Much the same as 26 February. Specialists training as usual.
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (27 February), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.