Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:5 July.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 5 July.
- The Lonsdales arrive at Contay Wood after being attached to 2nd KOYLI on night of 4 July; reorganising into two Companies.
- Battalion strength: 11 officers and 480 other ranks.
- Battalion situated in the line at Nieuport-Lombardzyde Sector; moves back to dug outs in New Parade & Walk (Reserve).
- At 11:24pm (4 July) Battalion launches a raid on the enemy line, consisting of 2nd Lieuts. Sykes, MC (wounded), Fernie and Pigott along with 35 other ranks.
- At 12:15am (5 July) a Bangalore torpedo is fired; the raiding party are met with a heavy barrage of bombs from the enemy.
- Finding the trench held too strongly and the party weakened by casualties, they withdraw. This is done successfully, all the party returns except one killed and one missing (believed killed).
- Our artillery opens up a covering barrage at 12:26am, one and a quarter minutes after asking for support.
- Communications to Battery is by lamps (Lucas Daylight) from Font line to OP and then by phone.
- Battalion in Reserve. 3 Companies and 3 Platoons on work forward at 10pm. 1 Platoon on garrison.
- Battalion training continues with 1st Battalion 130th Infantry Regiment (USA) at Ailly-le-Haut-Clocher.
|References & Notes|