Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:11 August.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 11 August.
- Newspaper article: Notes of the Week (Editorial about the War).
- Field Marshal Earl Kitchener's 'Your Country Needs You' call to arms recruiting campaign is published, explaining the new terms of service and the call 100,000 men to enlist.
- Battalion remains in trenches in the front line (Cambrin Sector) where the day is comparatively quiet.
- A few hostile trench mortars are sent over during the day doing no material damage; 11th Border's TM's reply with good success.
- The Commanding Officer visits the trenches at 9:00pm and Major Chamberlayne at 1:00am.
References / notes
- Workington Star and Harrington Guardian, published 11 August, 1914.
- Was my soldier in "Kitchener's Army"? Chris Baker. The Long, Long Trail. Accessed 3 August 2016.
- 11th Battalion War Diary, August 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, August 1917
- Soldiers Died in the Great War (1921) / Commonwealth War Graves Commission