Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:21 January.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 21 January.
- Punishments: N. Nixon (15458), W. Armstrong (13639), J. Moore (13891), H. Nicholson (13640), H. Baxter (13636) and R. Ashbridge (13872), all of D Company, get one week’s detention.
- Enlistments to A Company: Sergeant P. Crilley (17532)
- Battalion is situated in the trenches R1 Sector (Beaumont Hamel).
- Work on cleaning and the improving of Caribou Camp.
- The 8th Norfolk Regiment is situated on the right, the 2nd King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry on the left.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/135
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (21 January), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.