|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 4 January.
- Letter to Lt-Col. Machell: “... probably the rifles which you will eventually get are probably not yet made, ... suggested that you should number your equipment now and when get the rifles number them accordingly. I fancy the numbering is an entirely regtal affair and rifles not issued with numbers on them but done on arrival with the rgt. It’s rather putting the cart before the horse to number the equipment first, but in these strenuous times there seems nothing else to be done ...” 
- Estimate from Joseph Bell, joiner of Stanwix: “... gunracks for huts, they will cost about £2 17s 6d each per hut.” 
- “A short lecture will be given by Brigadier General Count Gleichen, KCVO, CB, CMG, DSO....who has been at the front from the commencement of the War, and is in England on short leave.” 
- “The following have been added to the list of articles to be provided for men of locally raised units who were enlisted before the 15th Nov., 1 pair woollen gloves, 1 cap comforter, 1 holdall per man. To cover the cost of these articles, the sum of 2/9 ... per man, may be drawn ...” 
- Promotions to Sergeant: J.E. Litt (13644), J. McMain (13892), R.B. Oliver (13687), W.W. Stevens (13641). 
- Promotions to Corporal: J, Kennedy (15380), R. Walker (15424), J.R. Morton (16274). 
- Appointment to Lance Sergeant: T. Burrow (13643), A. Blezard (13646), H. Davis (13642). 
- Appointment to Lance Corporal: W. Thompson (15381), E. Davies (15447). 
- Enlistments to E Company: J. Thompson (17427), J.E. Robinson (17428), Thomas Moses (17429), Ernest Haycock (17430), Thomas Wannop (17431). 
- Battalion situated at Puchevillers. Brigade Field Day. Lonsdales carry out practice ‘Stunt’ advancing through Puchevillers attacking a supposed position.
- Battalion situated in Tournehem. During morning involved in battalion and specialist training, recreation during afternoon.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/81
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/54
- Count Gleichen was Lt-Col. Machell's brother-in-law.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/135
- Fatigue duty is the employment of manual labour assigned to military men that does not necessitate the use of weaponry.
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1917
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1918