Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 19 January.
- Sergeant Percy Colt (13797) of B Company is reverted to the ranks.
- Deaths: Joseph Fairlamb (17464 Pte.) [note 1]
- In rest billets at Bouzincourt.
- Mailly-Maillet: Situated in billets. One Officer per company goes into the trenches and remains in the line.
- The Commanding Officer and 5 other officers visit the line prior to relieving the 2nd Gordons.
- Deaths: Isaac Dugdale (20081 Pte.)
- All Companies on 'B' Range. Transport moves by road for Langemarck Area.
- Joseph Fairlamb (17464 Pte.) dies in the UK. He is buried at St. Thomas of Canterbury Churchyard, Farlam, Cumberland.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/135
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (19 January), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.