Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 16 January.
- Garrard & Co, Crown Jewellers to Lord Lonsdale: "We have this afternoon forwarded to Lt-Col. Machell 650 of the silver regimental badges, we have made to your esteemed instructions." 
- Letter to Major Binning regarding the water Supply to Blackhall: "We....find that to deliver the quantity of water required, a larger Plant and Pipe will be required to meet your requirements. We propose to fix a 30 feet Tower....this will give you a daily average of 4500 gallons. The water from the Council’s main will be delivered into a 550 gallon Tank.” 
- Transfers: J. Wheatman (13427) from C Company to E Company.
- Discharges: T. Stewart (15429) of C Company.
- Enlistments to E Company: William Forsyth (17520)
- Battalion is situated at Tournehem. Parading on 'B' Range and carrying out firing practices.
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (16 January), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.