Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:30 January.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 30 January.
- Letter to Major Binning: "Free Bathing at the Public Baths. I do not see how it is possible for the Corporation to increase the facilities for this Battalion bathing. We are now providing accommodation for 856 of your men to attend the swimming baths per week and if this does not provide for each man having a bath say once in seven days, I think the only way to meet the increased numbers will be for you to arrange for them to go say once in eight days or possibly nine." 
- Charge sheet: Private H. Airey is absent without leave from tattoo for 30 minutes. Punishment given is two days confinement to barracks.
- Punishments in detention: W. Johnstone (15311) of B Company; H. Allen (13749) of C Company.
- Forfeiture of pay for absence: W. Bell (16441), T. Minshaw (16417), G. Fawcett (15417), G. Irving (13367), A. Ferguson (15336) and T. Cape (13873).
- Discharges on medical grounds: W. Pickering (13731), A. Robinson (13441) and W. Bell (13642) of C Company and N.H. McKenzie (13859) of D Company.
- Enlistments to E Company: Randolph Cameron (17561), D. Henderson (17562), G. Jamieson (17563) and John Sisson (17564).
- Aveluy: In billets providing fatigue duties for the Royal Engineers.
- J. Diamond [rank not given] writes a letter to the Workington Star and Harrington Guardian saying:
"Dear Sir, I am pleased to say I received your parcel of cigarettes and twist whilst in the trenches last week, and I desire to thank you and your readers for the kindness in sending out to us smokes. I need not tell you how much they are appreciated by all the boys out here. We have had a few more casualties during the past week, so we hope for the best when we go in again." 
- Situated on the front line. Generally quiet with very infrequent shelling. No casualties reported.
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (30 January), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.