Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:9 January.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 9 January.
- General Equipment Indent: 81 Infantry whistles.
- Copy letter from Lt-Col. Machell to 124th Infantry Brigade: "Recruits are now coming in well, and my experience of closing recruiting in November showed me that, once it is announced that recruiting is closed, it is by no means easy to begin again. I strongly recommend I may be authorised forthwith to proceed with the formation of the 6th (Depot) Company, for whom I can arrange billets in the neighbourhood as long as the Service Battalion remains in its present camp." 
- Football Match takes place on the Camp Football Field between the Regimental Team and C Company.
- Court of Enquiry takes place regarding the alleged illegal absence of Isaac Parker (16286 Pte.) of C Company.
- Aveluy: Situated in the F1 sector. The day is quiet.
- Tournehem: Involved in defensive training with Lewis guns on range.
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (9 January), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.