|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 22 January.
- Letter from the Recruiting Office, Workington: “We are also taking steps to interest the Police in their respective areas, about the selection of men of good physique & character for admission to the Battalion. This is being done with the knowledge of the Chief Constable.” 
- Return of 379 unsold Battalion Christmas cards to W.H. Smith in English Street, Carlisle.
- Battalion Orders: “A Football Match will take place at Aspatria tomorrow, Lonsdale Battalion v. Aspatria.” 
- D. McKillop (16375) is transferred from B Company to E Company and promoted from Private to Lance Corporal. 
- Enlistments to E Company: John Bell (17533)
- Battalion experiences active enemy artillery fire in the F1 sector near Aveluy.
- Casualties: one officer and two men are wounded; one man (Private McQuire) is killed. Lt-Col. P. W Machell writes tribute letter to Mrs McQuire on 25 January.
- Battalion in the trenches R1 Sector (Beaumont Hamel). One company in reserve 'Station Road', one in support and two in front line.
- Battalion at 'Caribou Camp', involved in training during morning and recreation during afternoon.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/199
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/100
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/136
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/135
- The officer dies that evening.
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1916
- Private McQuire's death is dated in A Smile for Everybody and Always Obliging – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 4 February, 1916.
- A Tribute to Private McQuire – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 4 February, 1916.
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1917
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1918