|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 14 January.
- Appointments: Lance Sergeant W. Dodds (13271), Lance Corporals E. Smith (16350) J. Atkinson (13704) to B Company.
- Newspaper article: Rats in Millions.
- Newspaper article: Lonsdales got Their Football.
- Private W. Bacon writes to the Workington Star and Harrington Guardian:
- “Dear Sir, Kindly allow me through the medium of your paper to thank the people of Bridgefoot who so kindly subscribed to provide the men of that district with cigarettes. I am please to say that I received the parcel all right. I may say that we are all doing well at present. The weather has not been so severe with us, although we still have a great deal of mud to contend with. D Company of the Lonsdales have brought in the first German prisoners for our Battalion. I must close now with best wishes to all.” 
- In the front line. "Two batteries, 18-pounders, one battery trench mortars, and some 4.5 howitzers, H.E. shells, all on to 100 yards of German front. They made beautiful shooting, and blew mud and wood quite 100 feet high. Guns then started at us from behind their line, and they sent a lot of shells all about us; luckily only one man hit." – Lt-Col. P.W. Machell 
- Battalion is relieved by the 17th Highland Light Infantry and return to rest billets at Bouzincourt.
- Battalion situated at Tournehem. Parade then Battalion marches to 'B' Range and carries out firing practices.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/135
- Rats in Millions – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 14 January, 1916.
- Lonsdales got Their Football – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 14 January, 1916.
- Lonsdales Bring in Their First Prisoners – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 4 February, 1916.
- Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) - In France
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1917
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1918