Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 14 January.
- Appointments: Lance Sergeant W. Dodds (13271), Lance Corporals E. Smith (16350) and J. Atkinson (13704) to B Company.
- Newspaper articles Rats in Millions and Lonsdales got Their Football are published.
- Private W. Bacon writes to the Workington Star and Harrington Guardian:
"Dear Sir, Kindly allow me through the medium of your paper to thank the people of Bridgefoot who so kindly subscribed to provide the men of that district with cigarettes. I am please to say that I received the parcel all right. I may say that we are all doing well at present. The weather has not been so severe with us, although we still have a great deal of mud to contend with. D Company of the Lonsdales have brought in the first German prisoners for our Battalion. I must close now with best wishes to all." 
- In the front line. "Two batteries, 18-pounders, one battery trench mortars, and some 4.5 howitzers, H.E. shells, all on to 100 yards of German front. They made beautiful shooting, and blew mud and wood quite 100 feet high. Guns then started at us from behind their line, and they sent a lot of shells all about us; luckily only one man hit." – Lt-Col. P.W. Machell 
- Battalion is relieved by the 17th Highland Light Infantry and return to rest billets at Bouzincourt.
- Battalion is situated at Tournehem where they parade then march to 'B' Range carrying out firing practices.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/135
- Rats in Millions – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 14 January, 1916.
- Lonsdales got Their Football – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 14 January, 1916.
- Lonsdales Bring in Their First Prisoners – Workington Star and Harrington Guardian. Published 4 February, 1916.
- Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) - In France
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1917
- 11th Battalion War Diary, January 1918
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (14 January), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.