|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 28 January.
- Battalion Orders: “The Quartermaster has arranged....to provide tea or coffee at 7.0 a.m. for men going to the Baths. 2 biscuits per man will be drawn by O.C. Companies the previous day and issued under Company arrangements. Hot soup and bread will be provided for Companies returning from night work on indent....stating numbers and hour at which the meal is required.” 
- Enlistments to E Company: Anthony Askew (17557) and Robert Carruthers (17558). 
- Promotions to Sergeant: R. Lorrimer (13712) of B Company and L.S. Blezard (13646) of D Company.
- Promotion to Lance Sergeant: J.W. Gibbon (13915) of D Company.
- Promotions to Lance Corporal:
- J.H. Overend (13672) and T. Ridley (13655) of B Company;
- J.R. Martin (13785) and A. Huddart (16270) of D Company;
- W. Kirkham (17512), W.L. Marsh (17408) and J.A. Atkinson (17410) E Company.
- Punishment: T. Carlyle (13389) receives 4 days’ detention.
- The following men are forfeited pay for absence:
- J. O’Toole (13882)
- J. Little (15386)
- N. Davison (13825)
- W. Johnstone (15311)
- J. Atkinson (13811)
- J. Edmondson (16366)
- A. Forsyth (15556)
- J. White (15392)
- R. Whitfield (16260)
- J. Jopson (13773)
- J. Moses (13657)
- G. Graham (13814)
- F. Graves (16327)
- J. Lowry (13650)
- W. Ferguson (16379)
- H.L. Parry (13257)
- J. Fairley (13700)
- R. Hogg (13746)
- J. Bell (13756)
- W. Winter (13659)
- J. Marshall (13749)
- T. Carlyle (13389)
- Battalion relieved by the 17th Highland Light Infantry in the F1 sector near Aveluy where they move back into billets; one man is killed during the relief.
- Deaths: Joseph Miller Gibson (13383 Pte.)
- Battalion is situated in the trenches at R2 Sector. Night patrols from previous evening reports on enemy locations.
- Our artillery opens at 4am and strafes the enemy positions with gas shells for ½ hour. Retaliation is slight and the remainder of day quiet. No casualties.
- Deaths: John Hunter (26954 Pte.)
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.