|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 24 September.
- Four men are recruited in Silloth.
- Enlistments: Joseph Jefferson (13264 Pte.), John Lawson (15462 Pte.) and Edward Lightfoot (13349 Pte.).
- Letter from I.H. Mawson, solicitor of Carlisle to Lord Lonsdale:
“I am very glad to say that we have now got to work with Recruiting Meetings. We held our first meeting last night at Dalston and we were successful in getting 15 or 16 young fellows to come forward for your Battalion. Of these nine were passed by the Doctor. They seem to be all of the right stuff, mostly agriculturalists. We are Silloth tonight, Aspatria tomorrow, Wetheral – Monday night and Brampton on Tuesday night and I hope we shall be able to raise Your Lordship’s battalion to its full strength.” 
- Commanding Officer visits the front line trenches at 9:30am.
- Battalion is relieved by the 17th Highland Light Infantry and proceeds to Le Quesnoy in Reserve. Relief commences at 2pm and completes at 4:30pm.
Reference / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.