|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 21 September.
- Lt-Col. Machell to Recruiting Officers: “...Owing to the impossibility of obtaining at once sufficient blankets, underclothing, and necessaries, Recruiting Officers are requested to inform all recruits that they are recommended to take with them the following articles, which will be taken over if serviceable and paid for according to valuation of the prescribed government rates. Each recruit: Blankets 2 or 3. Clothing 2 pairs of boots and laces, 1 pair woollen drawers, 1 cardigan, waistcoat or jersey. Necessaries 1 pair braces, 1 hairbrush, 1 shaving and 1 toothbrush, 1 comb, 1 knife, 1 fork, 1 spoon, 1 razor, 2 flannel shirts, 3 pairs of sock, 2 towels.” 
- Recruiting Office opens at 7 Devonshire Street, Carlisle.
- Battalion situated in the front line trenches (Cuinchy Sctor). The Commanding Officer visits the front line trenches during morning; the day in general is comparatively quiet.
- At 9:15pm the Battalion's Stokes Guns bombard the enemy's trenches for approximately one hour; there is very little retaliation.
- Colonel Rigg visits Battalion HQ during the evening.
- Battalion leaves Coxyde at 2pm and marches to La Panne in Divisional Reserve.
- Operational Orders are received from Brigade.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.