Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:23 September.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 23 September.
- 16 men are recruited at Dalston.
- Enlistments: William Foster (13276 Pte.) and Herbert Little (13296 L/Cpl.)
- Lt-Col. Machell states: “The [daily] rates of pay of officers and men are as follows - Sergeant 2s 4d [12p], Corporal 1s 8d [7p] and Private 1s [5p].” 
- Battalion situated in the front line trenches (Cuinchy Sector) encounters enemy trench mortars and aerial darts in the direction of the 'Brickstacks' during both the morning and afternoon; there is no material damage.
- Enemy artillery (77mm) fires a number of rounds in the direction of Cuinchy Church at 4pm.
- The Bombing Officer visits the front line trenches during afternoon and Brigadier General Jardine visits Battalion HQ at 11:45pm.