|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 17 November.
- Hirings take place in Wigton and Penrith.
- Lt-Col. Machell to Lord Lonsdale: “Urgent six hundred blankets required to give each man three owing severe cold.” Lord Lonsdale to Lt-Col. Machell: “Am sorry men are likely to feel the cold delighted to send more blankets 900 despatched today.” 
- Battalion leaves Englebelmer at 11pm in full fighting order for the trenches; marches through Mailly-Maillet forming single file passing through 'White City'. From this point the Lonsdales cross the open, headed by the Commanding Officer, towards trenches opposite 'Wagon Road.'
- At 1am the trenches front and back are occupied whilst relieving the East Lancs and the North Lancs battalions under shell fire; some casualties occurred. The behaviour of the men is good and after some difficulty the relief is completed at 6am. The ground is in a bad state with wire, much of it cut by shell fire. Hostile shelling continues throughout the morning with very few casualties.
- At 11am the Commanding Officer goes to Brigade HQ for a conference. The Lonsdales are in a reserve position to the K.O.Y.L.I. with exception of one Company which occupies a portion of front line. The Commanding Officer then checks the area his men are occupying.
- At 12 noon a heavy barrage from our artillery is opened onto enemy lines opposite, lasting 15 minutes. Half an hour later, enemy artillery replies with heavy fire. This fire continues well on after dark, during which time the Commanding Officer instructs Officers Commanding Companies on orders and positions.
- Men of various Companies that were separated in the relief and lost in the dark are collected together and everything made ready for the battalion to take up an attack position.
- Battalion situated at 'Road camp' involved in improving camp.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.