Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 4 November.
- Two men are recruited at Lees Hill.
- Enlistments: Harrison Bulman (16281 L/Cpl.).
- Lt-Col. Machell to Lord Lonsdale: “Strength yesterday over 850, and I expect to be nearly full in 10 days.” 
- Letter to Lt-Col. Machell: “We had a grand meeting here [Kirkby Stephen] last night 400 people & a great number of likely men but could not get one to put his hand up, although after the meeting several came & stated they were going into Appleby on Sat next to join the Battalion.” 
- Letter from Y.M.C.A.: “What sum we would be justified in spending for the comfort and recreation of the men in Carlisle and ... to ascertain whether it might not be possible to secure a building locally and erect it on the camp site.” 
- “The Soldiers’ Club will re-open tomorrow (Thursday) night at 6.0 p.m. at the new premises at 41 Bank Street. We trust your men will look upon it as a home when they are in Carlisle.” 
- Battalion situated at La Vicogne involved in general parades of instruction under Commanding Officer.
- Battalion situated in the Roubrouck Area involved in training.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.