|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 25 November.
- Schedule of lights and fittings at the Grand Stand.
- Monthly indents of personal clothing and kits are issued to C Company in Kendal.
- Battalion marches from Longpré at 1am, 'A' Company arrives at Gorenflos at 5:30am; 'B', 'C' and 'D' Companies stay in billets.
- “Very good moving on gradually, so the men get used to billeting; it’s a big change for these lads, accustomed to having everything done for them. Their minds move slowly and they think it’s still training; so far we have got along first rate, much better than others. Spring-Rice very good at getting the transport along.” – Lt-Col. P. W. Machell
- Battalion parades then leaves Arqueves at 9.25am; arrives Gezaincourt 12 noon.
- Draft 40 men reported as reinforcements.
- Battalion situated in the Bellvue area. 'A' and 'C' Companies withdraw without relief onto 'B' and 'D' Companies. 'A' and 'C' Companies suffer heavy casualties owing to a hostile barrage put down in the front line area.
- Battalion is relieved by the 15th Highland Light Infantry, which completes at 11.30pm. They then relieve the 17th H.L.I. in the left subsector via Kronpinz Farm. Relief completes at 2am on 26 November.
- Captain J. Benson, 2nd Lieut. J.R McDonald, 2nd Lieut. Duncan and 35 other ranks wounded. 12 other ranks killed and 7 missing.
The following Lonsdale men died this day in 1917
- Bishop, Arthur James (28824 Pte.)
- Bromley, Ernest (28919 Pte.)
- Cannon, Thomas Henry (260209 Pte.)
- Clark, John Jack (28828 Pte.)
- Clegg, John William (260213 Pte.)
- Crick, William James (32085 L/Cpl.)
- Davies, George (28929 Pte.)
- Davis, Stanley Wilberforce (35017 Sgt.)
- Fox, William Henry (260223 Pte.)
- Garrett, Thomas Arthur (35028 Sgt.)
- Hammond, Francis Eli (27250 L/Cpl.)
- Lawson, Thomas (32681 Pte.)
- Logan, William Robert (260234 Pte.)
- Nixon, Joseph (27994 Pte.)
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.