Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:3 December.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 3 December.
- By order of the War Office, the Lonsdale Battalion becomes the 11th (Service) Battalion, Border Regiment (Lonsdale).
- From the War Office: "I am commanded by the Army Council to inform you that it has been decided to number the battalions which have been raised locally by communities or individuals: 11th (Service) Bn. The Border Regiment (Lonsdale)." 
- Captain P. G. W. Diggle is appointed Adjutant.
- General Equipment Indent: 40 fencing muskets with spring bayonet.
- At Molliens-au-Bois, engaged in lectures, inspections and physical exercises. Weather is very wet.
- Battalion is situated in the Westroosebeek area; activity is normal throughout the day on both sides.
- Relieved at midnight by the 5/6th Royal Scots, 14th Infantry Brigade. Officer casualties for the whole action are:
Killed: Capt. J. Benson; Capt. A. Sandeman; Capt. Peter McEwan Martin; 2nd Lieut. Richardson; 2nd Lieut. William Brown MacDuff.
Wounded: 2nd Lieut. J.M. Jamie.
Missing: Capt. McConnan; 2nd Lieut. Fell; 2nd Lieut. Hotchkiss, 2nd Lieut. Maltby; 2nd Lieut. Ridgeway.
- Deaths: William Dalton (28928 Pte.) / William Dobson (4296 Pte.) / Joseph Hayward (33484 L/Cpl.) / Donald Macdonald (17383)
- Conveyed in War Officer letter No.20/Infy./635 (A.G.1).
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/121
- Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) - In England
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/66
- 11th Battalion War Diary, November to December 1915
- 11th Battalion War Diary, December 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, December 1917
Various sources contemporary to the war have been used to compile The Lonsdale Battalion On This Day. The majority of the events shown on this day (3 December), including any supplementary notes, enlistments and statistical data etc., have been primarily sourced from the Lonsdale Battalion War Diary (November 1915 to June 1918), Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) and abridged material from Timeline and Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915), which are sourced from the original DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Events from that chronology are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther (2016). They are identified and referenced separately by their unique DLONS numbers. Please do not publish these events without prior permission from the Lowther Estate. All casualty names, numbers, ranks, date of deaths and places of burial/commemoration have been sourced from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Volume 39, The Border Regiment and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database respectively.