Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 3 December.
- By order of the War Office, the Lonsdale Battalion becomes the 11th (Service) Battalion, Border Regiment (Lonsdale).
- From the War Office: “I am commanded by the Army Council to inform you that it has been decided to number the battalions which have been raised locally by communities or individuals: 11th (Service) Bn. The Border Regiment (Lonsdale).” 
- Captain P. G. W. Diggle is appointed Adjutant.
- General Equipment Indent: 40 fencing muskets with spring bayonet.
- At Molliens-au-Bois, engaged in lectures, inspections and physical exercises. Weather is very wet.
- Battalion situated in the Westroosebeek area; activity is normal throughout the day on both sides. They are relieved at midnight by the 5/6th Royal Scots, 14th Infantry Brigade. Casualties for the whole action were:
- Killed: Capt. J. Benson; Capt. A. Sandeman; Capt. P.M. Martin; 2nd Lieut. Richardson; 2nd Lieut. McDuff.
- Wounded: 2nd Lieut. J.M. Jamie.
- Missing: Capt. McConnan; 2nd Lieut. Fell; 2nd Lieut. Hotchkiss, 2nd Lieut. Maltby; 2nd Lieut. Ridgeway.
- Deaths: William Dalton (28928 Pte.) • William Dobson (4296 Pte.) • Joseph Hayward (33484 L/Cpl.)
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Conveyed in War Officer letter No.20/Infy./635 (A.G.1).
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/121
- Record of the XIth (Service) Battalion (Lonsdale) - In England
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/66
- 11th Battalion War Diary, November to December 1915
- 11th Battalion War Diary, December 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, December 1917
- Soldiers Died in the Great War (1921) cross referenced with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database.