Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 8 December.
- Letter from Lord Lonsdale to Lt-Col. Machell: “I am delighted to hear that you are getting on so well, at football & all else. I fear this weather has been terribly against all proceedings, huts, etc....Certainly I will have a Photograph taken for your Xmas card & I will send you a Sketch of the Badge which is almost complete. How many badges do they require, one for cap 2 for shoulder, where else? I have two proper harness being stained & will have it stamped. What awful weather we had just over 8in of rain in 6 days here, the record for Lowther for the last 50 years.” 
- Mrs. Trench of Workington offers to all Lonsdales who will accept it “....a portion of the Scriptures in small form.” 
- General Equipment Indent: 40 fencing gloves, 40 fencing arm guards, 40 fencing jackets, 40 bayonet fighting masks, 40 body fencing pads, 40 breast fencing pads.
- Battalion situated at Molliens-au-Bois. Eight men per platoon practice in the use of live hand grenades under instruction of Lieut. Kemp (Manchester Regiment).
- Remainder of the Battalion is occupied with inspections, close order drill and short route marches.
- Battalion situated Berteaucourt, parading for Aeroplane Scheme – cancelled owing to rain.
- Captain (acting Major) H. Moore is transferred from 17th Highland Light Infantry to the Lonsdales with effect from 11 October as temporary Major.
- Battalion situated at 'Brake Camp.' Companies at the disposal of Company Commanders.
- Brigadier General C.A. Blacklock, DSO, addresses the Battalion at 10am.
- Deaths: Thomas Newton (28956 Pte.)
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/246
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/112
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/66
- 11th Battalion War Diary, November to December 1915
- 11th Battalion War Diary, December 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, December 1917
- Distinguished Service Order
- Soldiers Died in the Great War (1921) cross referenced with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database.