|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 27 December.
- Battalion situated at Bouzincourt relieves the 17th Highland Light Infantry in the F1 Sector; involved in repairing trenches and construction of dug-outs.
- “For the first six months there was never a night that the C.O. did not go round the trenches. Not a casual walk round, but four or fives hours out. I took the other part of the night. But he was a man of 53, and then he did not sleep in the day. Breakfast was always at 8 a.m. We had the name of being the best Infantry Battalion in France, among any of those who had to do with us. One man told me here in England, only the other day, what a reputation we had. The C.O. put system and organization into everything he came in contact with. We organized a drainage party, whose job it was to keep the communication trenches drained and in repair, under the supervision of the R.E. The garrison was responsible for the front line only. The C.O. put protection first, then rest, and then work.” – Major P.G.W. Diggle, 2nd in Command of Battalion.
- Battalion situated at Puchevillers, parading under Commanding Officer for drill; later Company training and Battalion bombing and Lewis gun classes.
- Accident on bombing ground – 2nd Lieut. Rankin (Acting Bombing Officer) and 5 other ranks are all slightly wounded.
- Battalion situated at 'Siege Camp' bathe during morning, remainder of the day the Companies are the at the disposal of Company Commanders.