- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:28 December.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 28 December.
- Letter from the Chief Constable of Carlisle: “A number of your men have been rendering most valuable assistance at a very large factory fire that has occurred in the City this afternoon. Some of them inform me that they will be late in getting into Camp, and that they are wet through to the skin, they will have to go to their homes and obtain dry underclothing before they can return to Camp. I am deeply indebted to them for their hard work, and hope you will overlook their not being in Camp at the proper time.” 
- Battalion order: “No soldier will ever be allowed to leave Camp unless properly dressed. Puttees will also be worn when walking out, and short canes carried. The latter can be obtained at the Y.M.C.A. Recreation Hut.”
- Punishments: Privates. J. Harding (13906), J. Heslop (15558), J. Birkett (13910)
- Forfeiture of pay: Privates. J. Lowry (13650), A. Mattinson (13853), J. Branthwaite (13883), J. Barlow (15529), W. Goodfellow (13250), J. Bannon (15542), J. Chisholm (13368), and J. Shannon (13386).
- Strength: Privates L.W. Tweedie (17388), J.W. Cameron (17389), and Tom Harrison (17390) are posted to E Company.
- Battalion situated in the F1 sector near Bouzincourt. Special attention is paid to the repairing of trenches and construction of dug-outs.
- Battalion situated at Puchevillers, parading under Commanding Officer for drill; later Company training and Battalion bombing and Lewis gun classes.
- Battalion situated at 'Siege Camp' involved in training.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/115
- Record No. DLONS/L/13/13/135
- 11th Battalion War Diary, November to December 1915
- 11th Battalion War Diary, December 1916
- 11th Battalion War Diary, December 1917