- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:16 October.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 16 October.
- 3 men are recruited at Wreay; a further 22 men are recruited at St. Nicholas and Recruiting Office, Carlisle.
- Thomas Spencer is recruited at Penrith.
- Telegram: “stop attestation form Joseph Young find he has just finished three months imprisonment....he will be prosecuted tomorrow.” 
- Battalion leaves Labeuvrere at 7am in full marching order. Arrives Monchy Breton at 1pm and remains there over night.
- Deaths: Robert Bell (18276 Pte.).
- Battalion situated at Teteghem. 'A', 'B' & 'D' Companies at disposal of Company Commanders for physical drill and musketry training during morning.
- 'C' Company on 6 mile route march. Recreation in the afternoon.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.