|Jan · Feb · Mar · Apr · May · Jun|
Jul · Aug · Sep · Oct · Nov · Dec
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 13 October.
- 12 men are recruited at Burgh-by-Sands.
- Enlistments: John Bragg (13855 Pte.) • Sydney Caddy (13841 Pte.) • Thomas Ibison (13793 Pte.).
- Bertram Elliott of Appleby attests and almost immediately deserts.
- Letter to Lt-Col. Machell: “We have decided to send our Contingent of men, between 50 & 60 to Carlisle, on Thursday, they leave here on the 1.25 train, arriving Carlisle about 3.14 p.m. and have informed Binning. We entertain them tomorrow evening at a Smoking Concert – a good send off.” 
- Letter of Major Binning to Carlisle Charity Organization Society: “I require two Charwomen to scrub out a large building here tomorrow into which we have to put men....if you would kindly provide all that is necessary in the way of Cloths, Brushes and Carbolic Soap.” 
- Battalion situated in the Reserve line, supplying Royal Engineer parties.
- Brigadier-General Jardine, Commander of the 97th Brigade, visits the Lonsdales.
- Battalion situated at Teteghem where companies are at disposal of Company Commanders.
- Specialist training carries on. Recreation in the afternoon.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.