Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 17 October.
- 4 men are recruited at Warwick Bridge; a further 15 men are recruited at Carlisle Cross and 7 Devonshire Street.
- Enlistments: William Airey (15295 L/Cpl.).
- Lt-Col. Machell, along with the Orderly Room Staff and Lieutenant and Quartermaster Dawson, move from Penrith to Blackhall Racecource, Carlisle.
- Letter from Dr. Morland: “Owing to the development of varicose veins in both legs I consider Private J. Colman to be unfit for Military Service. While on duty the condition became gradually worse.” 
- Battalion situated at Teteghem. 'A', 'B' & 'D' Companies at disposal of Company Commanders for physical drill and musketry training during morning.
- 'C' Company on 6 mile route march. Recreation in the afternoon.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.