- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:20 October.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 20 October.
- 20 men are recruited at East Nelson Street and a further 7 men at Devonshire Street.
- Enlistments: Thomas Robert Lamont (15416 Pte.) • Joseph William Leck (15354 Pte.).
- Letter from Carlisle United Football Club: “....to inform you that after Sat next....or any cup tie, permission have been given to admit any of Lonsdale army men in uniform or with Permit to Half Price to all Parts of the Ground.” 
- Battalion situated in Longuevillete remain in billets during day involved with parade for general instruction, bombing and live grenade throwing.
- Battalion marches to Fort-des-Dunes and carries out practice attack.
- Specialists on training. Football competition during the afternoon.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.