- For events that took place elsewhere in the Great War, see The Great War:24 October.
Lonsdale Battalion events that took place on 24 October.
- 5 men are recruited at Holme St. Cuthbert’s and 18 men are recruited at 7 Devonshire Street.
- Enlistments: Allen Pearson Lumsden (15383 Pte.).
- Lt-Col. Machell reports to Lord Lonsdale: “A football match and that the players wanted to wear yellow [Lonsdale] colours; men not on duty were allowed to go home for the weekend; recruitment now over 700.” 
- Battalion situated at Teteghem marches off at 8.15am for Zeegers Cappel, arriving 1pm.
References / notes
Material from Timeline/Chronology of the Lonsdale Battalion (September 1914 - May 1915) are sourced from the DLONS/L/13/13 Lowther Estate Archives. Entries from this timeline are reproduced here with kind permission of Jim Lowther and are not available under the license of this site. Please do not publish these extracts on other publicly visible media without prior permission from the copyright holder.